The Fort presents a simple plan in a star format, with four bastions at the corners, in the Vauban system. The walls, with a thickness of one meter, range from four and twenty feet high and are covered with granite. The main access, by car, is through the West side gate. There are secondary accesses by the South side, through a draw bridge over the moat, now grounded. Among the buildings inside the Fort stands the ancient chapel of St. Francis, which housed during three centuries, until 1942, the tomb of King Afonso, First Duke of Braganza, now restored and well preserved. In early 2019 the Hotel went through a wide range of remodelling and decoration work, aiming to bring new life to this emblematic hotel, adding modernity and comfort without losing the charm of its historical past.